The GENERAL INFORMATION document contains all what you should know about our project, your duties and responsibilities as a team member, local living conditions, etc. The PACKING LIST provides you with more detailed information about necessary equipment for your stay. All volunteers will participate in our project at their own risk. Therefore please read the RISK WAIVER carefully. All volunteers will be asked to sign this risk waiver upon arrival on Boavista.
• Step (2)
Make sure you can answer all following questions with a clear and honest “YES”:
- Did you carefully read our General Information document?
- Are you at least 18 years?
- Are you aware that …
- … working as a volunteer in the field can be very hard and time consuming?
- … while your work to protect and preserve sea turtles will certainly be educational, interesting, and exciting at times, and always rewarding, volunteer work can also be tedious, repetitive, and boring sometimes?
- … our work will often be carried out under difficult and uncomfortable conditions (e.g., marching through the sand at night, in the heat, mosquitoes)?
- … there won’t be much free time besides work and that you will miss out on sleep?
- … you will live in basic shared accommodation (shared tent in campsites), and you will spend your nights at the nesting beaches (you can rest in a tent in your free time)?
- … food uses local ingredients, is based on local standards, and therefore often repetitive and simple?
- … you will work and live alongside with young local rangers, who generally do not speak a language other than Portuguese/Creole?
- Are you willing to pay for your travel costs to the project as well as a daily fee for food and lodging?
- Are you willing to stay and work for at least two (preferably three or more) weeks with our project?
- Are you able to converse, receive, and understand instructions in English (our working language) or Portuguese?
If you can’t answer “YES” to all the above questions, it is unlikely we will be able to take you as a volunteer. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
• Step (3)
Please fill in our online volunteer application form below.
- Applications for volunteer positions can be made for this year’s and the next year’s nesting season (1st July – 15th October).
- Long term volunteers who want to stay for eight weeks and more are requested to attach a short CV to the application form.
- Only complete applications will be considered. Thanks for your understanding!